500 g (18 oz) fresh bamboo shoots, cut into small chunks
500 g (18 oz) chicken pieces
200 g (7 oz) pineapple, cut into small chunks
3 cups chicken stock, or 3 chicken stock cubes
2.5 litres (0.66 gal) water
1 teaspoon salt
2 stalks scallion, finely chopped
- Place bamboo in a pot with plenty of water, bring to boil,
simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Taste bamboo; if bitter,
replace water and boil for a further 10 minutes.
- Bring stock
and water to a boil, add bamboo, cover and simmer for 10
- Rinse chicken.
- Add chicken, pineapple and salt, bring to a
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat and leave covered
to steep for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with spring onions and serve.
Warning Some species of bamboo contain a naturally occurring
toxin called hydrocyanic acid (prussic acid). To put it bluntly,
this bitter substance contains cyanide – safe if leached
out using the method described above (1). Do this for all
fresh bamboo to be on the safe-side. Canned or other kinds
of preserved bamboo should already be treated.