This is a simple
dish but it needs to be prepared half a day in advance.
3 oriental cucumbers
1/2 medium-sized carrot
2 tablespoons white rice vinegar
5 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 chilli pepper, sliced
3 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon sugar
- Scrub cucumber and rinse skin well (do not peel).
cucumbers lengthways into quarters. Cut crossways into
- Slice carrot into matchstick-sized
- Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of salt over cucumbers
and carrot. Mix in.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Rinse off salt and drain.
- Add remaining teaspoon
of salt, rice vinegar, garlic, chilli pepper, sugar. Mix
- Refrigerate for a further 3 hours, mix
Notes: For a variation add a teaspoon of finely diced ginger. You can substitute the cucumber with another vegetable such as radish, kohlrabi, cabbage or Chinese cabbage.