3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon white rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon chilli, chopped finely
1 stalk spring onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 or 2 cakes of firm tofu (quantity is not important),
cut into 3 cm (1") cubes
5 cups oil
- In a small bowl, mix soy sauce, vinegar,
and sugar well.
- Add remaining dipping sauce ingredients and
stir. Set aside.
Rinse, and drain tofu well.
- Heat oil in a wok or pot to about 180º C. (355º
- Optional: Dust tofu lightly with corn starch
or flour for a crisper effect.
- In manageable portions, fry tofu
quickly until golden brown.
- Drain well.
- Serve at once, dipping tofu into
Like all deep fried foods, this dish will suffer if not served immediately.
The tofu also goes well with chilli sauce or any sauce you like.
Read about the history of soy:
Story: from wild vine to soy burger